You may have heard the term ‘Grounding’ used in holistic circles and wondered what on earth (pun intended) people are talking about…
Put simply, grounding yourself is a way of connecting with Mother Earth and for that reason is sometimes also referred to as ‘Earthing’. It is quick and simple to do and I would really encourage you to include some form of grounding in your daily routine to get the most benefit from it. As little as 5 minutes a day can really help.
Why is Grounding Important?
How often do you wear shoes, stay indoors and sleep upstairs on thick mattresses? If you are like most people I am guessing that you have answered “most of the time”. These modern habits and ways of living mean that many of us are disconnected from our planet almost constantly and it can have mental, physical and spiritual consequences.
Physically, we need the negatively charged free electrons in the Earth to help balance the positive charge that builds up in the cells of our bodies. Scientific evidence has proven that just 40 minutes of grounding can help blood flow more freely in the body, thus improving circulation.
Mentally, when you ground yourself you can let all of your worries sink into the Earth and help yourself feel less anxious and more able to cope with the stressed of daily life.
It is also important spiritually to ground yourself often, especially if you are working with others as a healer or therapist as this allows the Earth to transmute any negative energies of those who you are treating instead of taking their burdens and worries on yourself.
The Benefits of Regular Grounding
- improve immune function
- reduce stress and anxiety
- reduce inflammation
- improve circulation
- improve happiness levels
- improve sleep
- reduce chronic pain
So with those reasons I’m sure you would agree it is worth giving Grounding a go…
How to Ground Yourself
There are many ways to ground yourself and here are four of my favourites:
- Take your shoes and socks off – let your bare feet connect with the ground regularly. Even if it is just for a few minutes a day, connecting this way allows you to ground quickly and easily.
- Swim in the sea – definitely my favourite method of grounding, although not that practical when you live in the middle of the UK! The conductivity of sea water helps you ground and I know that I always feel so much better after immersing myself in the ocean for a few minutes.
- Grounding meditation – imagine roots growing from your feet and travelling deep into the Earth to the core. This form of grounding is fantastic for mental and emotional connectedness and allows you to give all of your worries to Mother Earth.
- Hold a crystal – these gifts from the Earth are a great way of grounding yourself at any time of the day or night. I find that brown and black crystals work best for this so choose Obsidian, Tiger’s Eye or Tourmaline if you really need to feel grounded.
With so many benefits to grounding, it is a really important part of my day and I hope it will become part of yours too.
Like this Post?
Subscribe to my mailing list for inspiration straight to your inbox and a monthly summary when there are new blog posts on the site.